Monday, May 14, 2007

Made By The Master

Come let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. Psalm 95:6

In our First Place study last week, we spent some time looking at God as our Maker. We looked at scriptures such as those in Psalm 139 where we're told that He knit us together in our mother's wombs and that we were woven together in the depths. I knew these verses. I knew that God was my Maker but I really let myself meditate on these words. I thought about a master weaver at the loom. It's a picture that my generation has nearly forgotten. I thought about how it's the intricacy of one color woven together with the next that makes a masterpiece. How the more contrasting the colors - the more beautiful the finished work. That's what the Lord was wanting to talk to me about. When it comes to Him weaving me, I want the bright colors! Golds and yellows, even reds and pinks but not black or deep greys. Whether through prayer or complaining, I tend to ask my Maker if He knows what He's doing when the dark days come. In the words of Isaiah, I strive against my Maker. How often do I rebel against the tension as one color is tied into the next? Why do I not wholeheartedly trust the Master? He has the wisdom to know what is best, the power to accomplish it, and is dedicated to working all things together for my good.

Lord God Almighty, my Maker, I trust you. Teach me to trust in You with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding. I don't want to come unravelled, so go ahead and use the tension that You deem best as You change colors of thread. As for those colors, Lord... You know the pattern that will yield the most beautiful design. O that I would be grateful that You are at the loom and that I don't have to figure it out. Please teach me to rest in Your hands. Teach me, Lord, to live everyday, whether gold or black, with the sweet anticipation that I am becoming more and more beautiful. A priceless work in the hands of the Master. Remind me, Lord, that I've been purchased in advance by Your Son. The price has been paid. The deal is done. May I be joyfilled each day as I say "so be it"...

I received an e-mail yesterday from a friend of mine. She isn't part of my First Place class and she had no idea of what the Lord had been teaching me through this illustration. She simply heard the Lord when He told her to send this poem on to Karrie...

My Life is but a Weaving

My life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors,
He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow,
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.


Not 'til the loom is silent
and the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
and explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful
in the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
in the pattern He has planned.
He knows, He loves, He cares,
nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best to those
who leave the choice with Him.
~Author Unknown

3 comments:

kowalsons said...

So glad to read your blog!! Very inspirational! I have not had the time to do an update since we returned from our trip out east. But I hope to get that done by the end of this week.
Missing you!

LifeHouse Blog said...

Awesome as always! Bless you, sis!

Carole Lewis said...

Love your blog. You have a real talent for writing. Praying God uses this blog for His glory.

Love you,
Carole