Sunday, March 10, 2013

Wanna Run?

The Lord recalled a picture to my mind this morning that I hadn't thought of in a long while.  He had originally shown it to me a few years ago while I was at a conference.  As I was listening to the speaker, I had glanced across the aisle and noticed a mother tenderly holding her tiny baby close to her chest.  I remember telling the Lord to hold me close.  I wanted to know I was cradled in His arms - just like that!

The Lord allowed me to savor the moment and the knowledge that He does indeed hold His children close to His chest.  Isaiah 40:11 says, "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart..."  Then, however, I sensed Him ask, "Child, don't you want to run?"

The question stopped me short.  Was I so intent on safety and contentment that I was willing to remain a spiritual baby?  Was I so afraid of falling that I would rather stay swaddled than set my feet to the floor?  It took me a few moments of soul searching before I could declare to the Lord, "I want to run!"  That's where my musings left off with the Lord when we talked about it in 2009 - with the picture of a youngster learning to run free!

I'm not sure why the Lord brought the pictures back to my mind this morning.  I like to think that slowly but surely over these past few years, I have been learning to run.  I guess I do know... Even as I sit here, I remember the whole context of our quiet time this morning.  I had been praying for courage and boldness to share my faith with those around me.  Once again, I sensed the Lord ask me if I was really serious.  Did I really want to be bold and courageous?  I'm scared but I do!  So many that I love are dying without the hope that Jesus brings! 
 
Perhaps that's why we revisited the pictures above.  We've tried my feet and put a little distance under them but am I ready to get serious about it?  Really?
 
Now, there's new pictures coming to my mind.  This time it's a runner.  As I contemplate on the implications, what kind of runner am I being asked to be?  A jogger?  No.  I don't think so.  Though I think obedience will bring joy, I think this is way more than a pleasure run.  A sprinter?  No.  I think a steady exertion over the long haul is required.  Lord, would you make me a "marathoner"?  Please give me great endurance to run this race that You've marked out for me.

What about you?  Where are you at?  What question might the Lord be asking you?  Are you content to be cradled?  Are you learning to run?  Or are you willing to answer the call to be serious in this Christian walk?  (or should I say run?)  What might the Lord do if we got serious for Jesus?  Twelve disciples (make that eleven) changed the world!  I wonder if we could too...


1 comment:

SilentK said...

Hi. I just found your blog doing some research for my wife's book, Tales From A Spacious Place. The key verse for her book is the same one your use on the top of your blog! so I thought you might be interested in the book. it's fiction. 7 stories about growing through hard things within a relationship with Jesus. It's really a charming book. http://amzn.com/B00AAQOO6K I've got my review of it on my blog. Cheers!