Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dancing On My Daddy's Feet

Well, I'm sure that's an odd title but I'm not sure how else to describe it...

I've been struggling lately. The frantic pace, the pressure (much self-imposed), worries of this life... in the midst of it all, I lost my joy - and I missed it! As I talked with the Lord yesterday morning, I told Him that I longed to feel like a little girl again when I would wrap my arms tight around my daddy's waist, stand on his feet and let him dance me around the room. That was fun! That was safe! That was secure! That was living...

I cried out to my Abba. He has promised to be the father to the fatherless. I asked Him to place me on His feet, to wrap my arms around His waist and to dance me wherever He wanted me to go yesterday. And He did.

Yesterday, joy erupted out of nowhere! It filled me up and spilled over on those around me. I was full of gratitude for the many blessings that seemed to dazzle me everywhere that I looked. Though nothing special changed in my circumstances, everything was different. Life was abundant and free! It had been awhile.

I was asked what had made the difference. What Truth had the Lord used to set me free? I couldn't answer. All I knew was that the Lord had reached down from on high and took hold of me. He drew me out of deep waters. He brought me out into a spacious place. He rescued me because He delighted in me.

I awoke this morning with a slight sense of dread. What if my joy were gone again? How could I face a day like that again? I did a quick check on the day before. Had I done anything so awful as to separate me from Him? Oh, how fast those lies can fly in! I have never done anything that could earn my Father's love nor can I ever do anything that will separate me from it! (see Romans 8)

I asked my Father what had He done to set me free yesterday? What lies had I been listening to? Once again, we talked of dancing as a little daughter with her daddy. A little girl trusts her daddy. When she steps on his feet and wraps her arms around his waist, she is delighted to go where he goes. She knows that there is nothing quite as wonderful as the safety and security and thrill as her father swirls her and twirls her across the room. He's got her and that's all that matters.

Yesterday, the Lord just did that for me! There was no conscious decision to trust Him. He just rescued me - plain and simple. Today, I choose to dance with my Daddy. He's the Best! He cares for me. I'm wrapping my arms tight around Him and putting my feet on His feet. And you know, as the day has started spinning, I think I'm going to throw my head back and enjoy the ride!

Dancing With God (author unknown)

When I meditated on the word Guidance,
I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word.
I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.
When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.

The movement doesn't flow with the music,
and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.
When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,
both bodies begin to flow with the music.
One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back
or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.
It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.
The dance takes surrender,
willingness, and attentiveness from one person

and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw "G: I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i".
"God, "u" and "i" dance." God, you, and I dance.
As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust
that I would get guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.
My prayer for you today is that God's blessings and mercies be upon you
on this day and everyday.
May you abide in God as God abides in you.
Dance together with God, trusting God to lead and to guide you
through each season of your life.

2 comments:

Christina said...

You know, I have been thinking of you a lot lately... and praying for you. Not sure how I was going to ask you "how you" were doing.... but after reading your post today I have my answer.
So happy you have your joy again! :)
Chris

Bre said...

thank you for this one, teared me up.