Friday, October 26, 2012

Action! It's More Than Wishful Thinking!

The LORD knows me so well.  This morning He brought me back to a lesson that He taught me earlier this year through a scripture that I have read many times before.  It is a wonderful prayer of David - steeped in hope - and full of truths!  And nestled within familiar words is a profound reminder and challenge to me...
I will call upon You, for You will answer me, O God; incline Your ear to me; hear my words.  Wondrously show Your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at Your right hand.  (Psalm 17:6-7 ESV, emphasis mine)

Seek refuge!  How often have I read this passage and others like it and missed the implication of the word "seek"?  Seek is much more than hope for - more than wishful thinking!  The Hebrew word translated here is Strong's # 2620 "chacah".  It means to actually "flee for protection, be confident in, put trust in"!  (see http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H2620&t=KJV)  Isn't that so much more than hope for protection to be found?  In fact, there are 37 occurrences of this word in the Old Testament and only one time is it translated to have hope in!  Every other time, action is implied!  Jesus is the Savior of those who believe and then act on that belief!  We are to flee for protection - get moving - to the refuge we have at our God's right hand!

Words fail me at how to really bring this phrase to life but the LORD is showing me this passage in light of what I shared yesterday in "My Dad" (http://spaciousplace-karrie.blogspot.ca/2012/10/i-love-view-of-god-as-my-father.html).  If I am acting on the hope that I have that my Heavenly Father is going to provide refuge from all of my adversaries, I am going to run to my Father!  I'm going to clamor up onto His knee and tell Him everything that I am thinking and feeling!  And then, when He tells me what to do, I'm going to take my stand on His words - because no one messes with my Dad!  That's seeking refuge! 

Abba Father, You have been helping me know by experience the difference between wishful thinking and acting on what You have said!  If is profound!  Thank You for the reminder today.  Please help me to choose to seek refuge in You and no other. In Jesus' Name... Amen.

No comments: