Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lord, I Want to be Like a Tree!

Okay, at first, that may sound like an odd request but the Lord often relates our lives to the growth of a tree. There's Psalm 1 that says when we meditate on the Word of God and trust His counsel He blesses us as a tree planted by streams of water - healthy trees - bringing forth fruit in season. Or there's Isaiah 61:3 that says that the Lord came to make us into oaks of righteousness, a planting for the display of His splendor.

I LOVE both of these passages! What an awesome picture! I even have a favorite tree! I like to tell the Lord that I'm so glad He planted it just for me! It is magnificent! It towers over other trees, that if seen on their own, look pretty amazing themselves. The trunk is so sturdy and strong and its' leaves offer such wonderful shade and shelter. I love it! The Lord has used this particular tree to teach me many things over the years, especially during life's strong winds and storms. Often, He has reminded me to choose Him and His Word and that when the winds once again subside, I'll be stronger... because I'm rooted in Him.

This week, one of the passages that I was taken to was Ephesians 3:16-21.

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

I praise the Lord for new layers of understanding! We were challenged to draw a tree and consider its' roots. How far did our roots go down into the LOVE of God? The Lord took me on a google tangent... He wanted to show me some more about roots. It shouldn't surprise us that young, immature trees send out their roots just under the soil. They require consistent rain to water them and they are greatly influenced by the elements. Their roots act as tethers but they will never grow into grand, mature trees if they don't develop sinker roots. A sinker root plummets deep into the soil of the earth. There were a fair amount of interesting facts listed in various research papers but one phrase struck me profoundly. Sinker roots enable the tree to avoid drought not endure drought!

Life happens. Storms come. Winds blow and seasons of drought are inevitable. My roots need to be anchored deeply into the love of God for me. When I know - really know - that His love for me is unconditional and that nothing can separate me from that love, I can weather the elements because in Him I can be lavishly nourished and soul-satisfied! Praise His Name! Now that's a love worth expending energy grasping! Wouldn't you agree?

No comments: