Saturday, August 18, 2007

Where Do You Go When You're Hurting?

I don't know what circumstances are surrounding you today. As I think of the circumstances of those around me, perhaps you have a child in hospital whose life has been hanging in the balance. Perhaps you have a crisis in your relationships. Maybe you have found yourself victimized by circumstances beyond your control. Perhaps you are grieving. Whatever the situation may be, if you are not the one hurting, I can guarantee you know someone who is. Where do you go when you're hurting?

It occurs to me that I have spent my entire life surrounded by a belief in God. He has just always "been" for me. I take for granted in much of the things that I write that God has "been" for you too. But it is not enough to simply believe that God exists. The Bible says that even the demons believe and shudder. There came a point for me when I realized that despite the fact that I believed God existed, there was a separation between us. Something was missing and I needed it to be made right.

God says, "Come to Me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) "But before people can ask the Lord for help, they must believe in Him; and before they can believe in Him, they must hear about Him; and for them to hear about the Lord, someone must tell them... So faith comes from hearing the Good News, and people hear the Good News when someone tells them about Christ." (Romans 10:14, 17)

Here's the really Good News...

"The Good News shows how God makes people right with Himself - that it begins and ends with faith..." (Romans 1:17)

"As the Scriptures say: 'There is no one who always does what is right, not even one." (Romans 3:10)

"no one can be made right with God by following the law. The law only shows us our sin. But God has a way to make people right with Him without the law, and He has now shown us that way... God makes people right with Himself through their faith in Jesus Christ... Everyone has sinned and fallen short of God's glorious standard, and all need to be made right with God by His grace, which is a free gift. They need to be made free from sin through Jesus Christ. God sent Him to die in our place to take away our sins. We receive forgiveness through faith in the blood of Jesus' death..." (Romans 3:20-25)

"The payment for sin is death. But God gives us the free gift of life forever in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

"When we were unable to help ourselves, at the right time, Christ died for us, although we were living against God... But God shows His great love for us in this way: Christ died for us while we were still sinners." (Romans 5:6, 8)

"That is the teaching of faith that we are telling. If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and if you believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you will be saved. We believe with our hearts, and so we are made right with God. And we declare with our mouths that we believe, and so we are saved. As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trusts in Him will never be disappointed.'" (Romans 10:8-11)

"Christ carried our sins in His body on the cross so we would stop living for sin and start living for what is right. And you are healed because of His wounds. You were like sheep that wandered away, but now you have come back to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." (1 Peter 2:24, 25)

So what do you say then? Are you tired? Is your burden heavy? Are you hurting? Is something missing? Are you ready to reach out in faith? Hebrews 11:1 says, "Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it." God asks each of us to begin our journey with a single step of faith. An acceptance of the gift that He is extending. What do you choose?

Dear Lord,

Thank You that You hear and answer everyone who calls out to You. You know the intention of those who are praying these words with me. Lord Jesus, I believe that You are the Son of God. You died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins. No matter how hard I try, Jesus, I can't fix my separation from God - but You can. Thank You that right now, You are alive and sitting at the Father's right hand, claiming me as Your own. I'm choosing to take a step of faith now, Jesus. I accept Your gift of life - real life. Be my Lord.

"Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long. Remember, O LORD, Your great mercy and love, for they are from old. Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to Your love remember me, for You are good, O LORD." (Psalm 25:4-7)

Amen.


If you have just joined me in the journey of a lifetime, I welcome you. Jesus said, "there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." (Luke 15:10) May I rejoice with you too? Please leave me a comment and we'll be praising His Name together!

No comments: